The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy was founded as the Society of Trained Masseuses in 1894. By 1900 the Society had acquired the legal and public status of a professional organisation and became the Incorpororated Society of Trained Masseuses. In 1920, the Society was granted its Royal Charter. Amalgamating with the Institute of Massage and Remedial Gymnastics, the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy grew to establish branches and local boards all over the UK. In order to represent the scope of its work, the Society adopted its present name in 1944.